On day one there is no specific test to pass the Marine Recon selection. The day starts with treading water to put the candidtates to the test to see if they even want to be there.
Marines are pushed to unconsciousness in the pool, they wrestle 90-pound packs in the pounding surf of the Pacific Ocean. It’s a man-breaking, all-out endurance test that forges top soldiers with unparalleled skills. One in three don’t survive the cut.
Although Force Recon has never been part of the United States Special Operations Command, their missions slightly differentiate themselves from other United States Special Operations Forces units. Colloquially, they are specialized in all tactical areas of warfare.
Force Recon will train with other Special Operations forces, such as, United States Navy SEALs, United States Army Special Forces, and United States Air Force Pararescue, in order to master all skill sets.
The Marines now have MARSOC (Raiders) as part of USSOCOM.
Basic Physical Fitness Test:
- 3 mile run in less than 18 minutes
- 20 pull ups
- 80 sit ups in less than 2 minutes
- Max Push ups in less than 2 minutes
- Max Sit ups in less than 2 minutes
- Max Pull ups in less than 2 minutes
- Max Flutter Kicks in less than 2 minutes
- Max 8 Count push ups in less than 2 minutes
- Max scissors in less than 2 minutes
Plus several other tests include swimming, pack marching, boat handling and much more.
Source: US Marine Corp