Army Releases Army Helicopter Crash Report, Gained’t Say Trigger

An Army report on the crash of a Tennessee Army Nationwide Guard UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter close to Huntsville that killed two Nationwide Guardsmen says the craft flew out of a cloud layer in an “unrecoverable flight angle” and the crew couldn’t get better in time to keep away from the bottom.

The Redstone Rocket, a weekly newspaper overlaying the bottom, reported right this moment on the releasable parts of the Army security investigation report obtained by way of a Freedom of Data Act request. The newspaper stated sure factors referring to army accidents are “intently protected and exempt from disclosure” underneath provisions of the general public data regulation. On this case, the reason for the unintended crash and causes for that conclusion weren’t launched.

The helicopter crashed Feb. 15 whereas flying close to Huntsville on a coaching mission that began at 5:30 a.m. with pre-flight checkups at Joint Base Berry Area in Nashville, Tenn. and included a cease on the Enterprise, Ala., airport. Chief Warrant Officer 3 Daniel Wadham of Joelton, Tenn., and Chief Warrant Officer 3 Danny Randolph of Murfreesboro, Tenn., have been on board and died within the crash.

After a profitable fueling on the Huntsville Worldwide Airport and cease in Enterprise, the crew on its return journey reported being 50 miles south of Huntsville Worldwide Airport and was OK’d for touchdown to refuel on the airport, the Rocket story says. Throughout its descent, the helicopter flew into and out of clouds going from visible to instrument flying. Shortly after rising beneath the clouds in an “unrecoverable flight angle,” a low altitude warning was triggered on strategy management’s show, the Rocket report stated. The crew was unable to “get better the plane,” contact with the helicopter was misplaced and couldn’t be restored.

The helicopter hit the bottom “within the median between the northbound and southbound lanes of Alabama 53 close to the intersection of Burwell Highway,” the Rocket reported. It was about 12 miles north of the airport. The crash was reported to 911 at 2:59 p.m. and the Madison County Hearth Division was on the scene at 3:01, the story studies. A post-crash hearth was put out by 3:12 p.m.

The Rocket stated the data it obtained was launched Aug. 28. The paper stated it was informed by Brig. Gen. Jonathan Byrom, commander of the Army Fight Readiness Heart, that “in an effort to keep up and proceed to extend the effectiveness of the Army’s Accident Prevention Program, sure parts of the security report are intently protected and exempt from disclosure.” That included the evaluation board’s conclusion on the reason for the crash and the rationale or causes for that conclusion.

©2023 Advance Native Media LLC. Go to Distributed by Tribune Content material Company, LLC.

Story Continues

© Copyright 2023 All rights reserved. This materials will not be revealed, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.