WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio —
Involved about catching the flu? We’re all in danger for getting and spreading the flu. Learn to struggle the flu – it begins with you!
What’s the flu?
Influenza is a viral an infection that assaults your respiratory system – your nostril, throat, and lungs. Influenza is usually referred to as the flu, nevertheless it’s not the identical because the abdomen “flu” viruses that trigger diarrhea and vomiting.
How does the flu unfold?
Influenza viruses journey by the air in droplets when somebody with the an infection coughs, sneezes, or talks. You may inhale the droplets immediately, or you may decide up the germs from an object- similar to a doorknob or desk – after which switch the viruses to your eyes, nostril, or mouth. Flu germs can linger on surfaces for as much as 8 hours.
What are signs of the flu?
Widespread indicators and signs of the flu embrace:
* Physique aches
* Chills and sweats
* Sore throat
* Runny or stuffy nostril
* Excessive fatigue
* Eye ache
Most individuals who get the flu get better utterly in a single to 2 weeks, however some individuals develop critical and doubtlessly life-threating medical issues, similar to pneumonia.
What’s the distinction between a chilly and flu?
The frequent chilly and flu are each contagious viral infections of the respiratory tract. Though the signs could be related, flu is way worse. Colds often develop slowly, whereas the flu tends to return on instantly. With the flu, you might be more likely to run a fever for a number of days and have physique aches, fatigue, and exhaustion, signs which are hardly ever attributable to easy colds.
Why ought to I get vaccinated towards the flu?
The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention recommends annual vaccination for everybody age 6 months or older as the easiest way to guard towards the flu.
“A flu vaccine won’t present 100% safety from getting the flu however can scale back the period of time you’re sick and the severity of your sickness or the potential for hospitalizations,” stated Lt. Col. Michael Renkas, AFMC Command Public Well being Officer. “To be actually efficient, it might take a number of days to a few weeks in your physique to elicit a extra intensive immune response from a flu vaccine.”
Renkas advises people to get a flu vaccination properly upfront of the upcoming Thanksgiving Vacation to guard themselves, their household and friends upon returning to the office.
Can flu photographs trigger the flu?
The flu shot is created from useless viruses and can’t “give” you the flu. Nevertheless, the vaccine can set off an immune response out of your physique, so you’ll have a number of delicate signs, like achy muscular tissues or a low-grade fever.
The place can I get a flu vaccine?
Influenza vaccinations for all army members are a compulsory requirement, and accessible by every set up’s Medical Group or at any collaborating TRICARE eligible pharmacies. TRICARE beneficiaries are additionally eligible for flu photographs by immunization clinics on base, or without charge at TRICARE eligible pharmacies. For the civilian workforce, all Federal Worker Well being Profit plans cowl flu photographs without charge for members and can be found at native retail pharmacies. You will discover a flu vaccine location by vaccines.gov.
Go to: https://www.vaccines.gov/
* Choose “Discover Flu Vaccines” on the prime of the web page
* Enter your 5-digit zip code
* Examine your “Vaccine Choices”
* Choose “Seek for Flu Vaccines” to discover a most popular location
[Click on the location for further details and contact information]
What are on a regular basis wholesome habits to assist shield towards the flu?
1. Wash your palms typically with cleaning soap and water. If cleaning soap and water are usually not accessible, use an alcohol-based rub.
2. Keep away from touching your eyes, nostril, or mouth. Germs could be unfold when an individual touches one thing that’s contaminated with germs and touches his/her eyes, nostril, or mouth.
3. Cowl your mouth and nostril with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It could forestall these round you from getting sick. Flu viruses unfold primarily by droplets made when individuals with flu cough, sneeze, or speak.
4. Keep away from shut contact with people who find themselves sick. If you end up sick, hold your distance from others to guard them from getting sick too.
5. Clear and disinfect regularly touched surfaces and objects that could be contaminated with viruses that trigger the flu at dwelling and work.
6. Keep away from massive crowds. In the event you’re in a position to restrict contact with individuals throughout flu season, you may scale back your threat of getting an an infection.
7. Strengthen your immune system. A powerful immune system helps your physique struggle off infections. To construct your immunity, sleep no less than 7-9 hours per evening. Additionally, preserve a daily bodily exercise routine-at least half-hour, thrice per week. As well as, comply with a wholesome, nutrient-rich consuming plan. Restrict sugar, junk meals, and fatty meals. As a substitute, eat quite a lot of fruit and veggies, that are stuffed with nutritional vitamins and antioxidants, to advertise good well being.
For extra data on stopping the flu, go to USAFwellness.com or contact your native Civilian Well being Promotion Providers group. Complete data on wholesome habits to forestall the flu could be discovered on the Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention web site at cdc.gov.