In earlier articles, we mentioned selecting a set blade survival knife:
A knife is without doubt one of the extra necessary items of apparatus you may have with you in a survival state of affairs.
As such, a great, survival acceptable, fastened blade knife is your most suitable option for inclusion in a survival equipment or BOB (Bug Out Bag) or equal, and/or to be strapped on when an emergency is probably going. On this article, we are going to think about a contender for “Finest Survival Knife”.
As talked about within the common articles, there are two courses of fastened blade knife which will be acceptable for survival situations, the “bush” (medium) knife and the “area” (massive) knife. This knife belongs to the area class.
Why did I think about the Benchmade HK Feint?
I’ve at all times been a fan of Benchmade pocket knives since their begin in 1988 with the Bali-song (butterfly knife).
From that humble starting, they’ve grown into one of many premier knife corporations, and at present, they make a few the perfect survival pocket knives I’ve discovered primarily based on their Griptilian mannequin. So I used to be comfortable they’ve some fastened blade fashions which look promising.
In fact, these knives are likely to normally be out of my worth vary. Once in a while a great deal pops up, and this time it was a Feint. This mannequin is from their HK line.
That is proper, HK, or Heckler & Koch, the famed firearm makers. Are these made for HK? I believe not, since there is no such thing as a point out of them on the HK web site.
However these knives do use the HK brand, so presumably, Benchmade purchased the rights or have been commissioned to take action for advertising and marketing functions.
Along with a lifetime guarantee, typical of many high quality knife corporations, Benchmade presents the “LifeSharp” service, the place they’ll resharpen your knife to manufacturing unit razor sharpness any time you need.
Though solely ship a knife to Benchmade in the event you acquired it from a licensed seller, as they’ll confiscate or destroy any knives decided to be “counterfeit”, with out reimbursing you.
Though USA manufacture shouldn’t be claimed on the knife or site, Benchmade assures me these are made of their Oregon plant.
|Blade Size||9.5″||Total Size||14.5″|
|Blade Width||1 3/8″||Weight (Knife Solely)||11.2 oz|
|Blade Metal||440C||Grip Materials||Santoprene|
|Blade Form||Drop Level||Guard Sort||Half, Molded into the grip|
|Blade Grind||Saber||False Edge||No|
|Blade Thickness||3/16″||Backbone “Jimping”||No|
Particular Options: Black blade coating
That is the primary alternative I’ve needed to assessment a area knife. There are extra bush knife fashions out there, and so they are usually simpler to seek out (and cheaper). This one is a little bit of a disappointment.
The knife appears fantastic, however the sheath may be very fundamental for the value vary; it could show enough, however is lacking some options I’ve develop into accustomed to.
As I mentioned, the knife is kind of respectable. The grip is comfy, and really slip resistant with the hand dry, moist or oily. The stability is about 1 1/2″ in entrance of the guard, which takes a little bit of getting used to, and makes the knife really feel a bit clumsy.
But it surely ought to assist with chopping, one of many key duties for a area class knife. The grip is a tad brief to be totally comfy within the saber grip; individuals with smaller fingers shouldn’t have even this minor discomfort.
It’s comfy and safe in all different grips; sideways is especially good with a little bit of hook on the pommel to twist the little finger round. It does have the generally discovered finger choil with the sting working proper into it.
Normally I gripe about this, however on this case, I will not. To start with, you do not choke up on a area knife that usually in the event you even have a area knife or good pocket knife.
And secondly, and extra importantly, this choil is deeper than any I’ve seen earlier than, which implies there’s a hole between your finger and the top of the sting.
It’ll nonetheless require some care to keep away from reducing your self when choking up, however moderately lower than with the opposite finger choils I’ve tried to this point. There is no such thing as a jimping, however with this grip materials and design, that’s not actually essential.
The perimeters of the backbone are pretty sharp, however have a easy coating, so it’s questionable how helpful will probably be.
The lanyard gap is sufficiently big to simply accept a size of paracord by way of it. The perimeters of the lanyard gap usually are not rounded, however they’re by way of the comfortable Santoprene, so lanyard put on shouldn’t be an issue. .
The blade coating is easy, so should have no affect on reducing capabilities, and doesn’t replicate gentle.
The sheath seems to offer enough retention.
The knife seems prefer it might be a good selection for survival; the sheath might have modification or substitute.
That is product of 440C, a excessive grade stainless-steel which has been round for some time. It was once a best choice for prime finish stainless knives, however has been eclipsed by ATS-34 and 154-CM. Nonetheless, it’s a sensible choice, significantly for mid grade knives as it’s simpler to work with then these newer steels.
Having the best quantity of carbon within the 440 line, it’s the least rust resistant, however that’s nonetheless fairly good. It’s robust and holds the sting effectively, however as a consequence of its bigger, much less uniform microstructure, doesn’t exhibit the additional sharpness and chip resistance of the newer steels.
The knife got here sharp sufficient to simply slice paper, which is normally enough for a area knife. After 50 slices by way of cardboard, it didn’t lose any sharpness. My Pocket Pal didn’t enhance the sharpness any however a number of strokes of my previous Brass Rat did enhance the sharpness.
To summarize, it seems that the metal has good rust resistance, reasonably excessive energy, good edge functionality, honest or higher ease of sharpening, reasonable resistance to chipping and good edge holding functionality.
- Reducing twine – That is usually essential throughout building of shelter, fishing, stitching and making snares and traps, in addition to different instances. Since this isn’t a serious process for a area knife, I solely tried the hardest I’ve available, 3/4″ Sisal. The knife had a bit hassle getting by way of it, about common. I might say it handed this take a look at.
- Making notches in branches – This might be required for shelter building and making snares or traps, in addition to different instances. The knife was fairly good at this, each the primary cuts and the cease lower, utilizing the portion of the blade near the grip for management. On this mode, the stability was not a distraction.
- Trimming/Sharpening/smoothing branches – This could be for shelter building, in addition to making arrows, spears, stakes, strolling sticks and even bows. The knife did a great job of this.
- Pounding in stakes – This might be required for making shelters, snares and traps. This knife shouldn’t be set as much as carry out this operate.
- Use with a magnesium bar or ferrocerium rod is pretty viable utilizing the sting of the backbone; it shaves and sparks effectively. It does appear to mark up the sting of the backbone used.
- Making a “featherstick” with this knife is a little bit of a problem. Comfortable woods work effectively, however with laborious woods, it tends to go “too far”. A lot of curls, simply not nonetheless connected to the feather stick.
- Drilling a gap (for a fireplace drill) was pretty straightforward, though the end result was a smaller and fewer easy gap than earlier knives. The tip is a bit skinny and is stainless-steel, so attempt to keep away from excessive stress on the tip.
- Batoning for entry to tinder or making kindling from logs labored very effectively. There have been important marks within the blade coating after this take a look at; some scrubbing toned them down significantly, however there have been nonetheless marks seen.
- Probably not acceptable duties for a area knife, so I did not hassle testing it. It isn’t balanced for these duties, so together with the blade size could also be inconvenient for these duties. Nonetheless, the tip and blade form could make it doable to make use of it for these functions if essential.
- Sticks or fronds – For shelter and different building, splints and firewood. That is the most important process for a area knife, and this did pretty effectively. Not in addition to one with an enormous stomach, however totally enough, whereas sustaining a “regular” blade form.
- The grip and level are pretty good for fight, and the blade size makes this a fearsome weapon to face. The stability makes it a bit clumsy to make use of, at the least till you follow with it sufficient to get used to it, and it does lend energy to chops and slices. It isn’t fairly as agile as a shorter blade, however does have extra attain. This might be a bonus defending in opposition to a harmful animal, however could also be a bonus or drawback defending in opposition to somebody armed with a shorter, extra agile, blade. There may be, in fact, little safety out of your opponents blade, however it’s higher at stopping your hand from sliding onto your individual blade than many knives of this design. I might say this knife might truly do reasonably effectively as a survival stage “fight” knife.
The sheath, as talked about, is kind of fundamental; it’ll do the job and that’s about all that may be mentioned for it. It seems to be product of a stiffened nylon or related material.
The belt loop is sewn in; not as stiff as I would love, however maybe enough. Retention is by way of a snap-closed grip strap, which works effectively. The liner appears to be thick sufficient and held in place effectively.
It isn’t fitted to the blade, so there may be important rattle, even with the grip strap fixed. It’ll slot in backwards for a left handed carry, however there’s a “catch” when inserting it this manner, which means that the blade could also be rubbing on one thing, which could finally affect the sheath or the blade edge.
The sheath is lengthy, and the belt loop not the stiffest, so evidently sheath flop could also be an issue. However there is no such thing as a gap or holes on the backside for a leg tie and there aren’t any different attachment choices offered.
There don’t seem like any equipment out there, which is unlucky, as a customized sheath appears to be fascinating. Maybe a customized sheath maker might be talked into making one. Or you probably have the talents, make your individual from Kydex or leather-based.
Worth and Availability
The checklist worth of the Feint at this cut-off date is $135.00. You possibly can normally discover them new on eBay for $95 and up.
Firm web site
It’s listed as being in inventory on the firm, and there are a number of individuals promoting it on eBay. Amazon has a number of of them left within the decrease a part of the eBay worth vary, and it’s on the Prime program, however tax can be added.
I am involved in regards to the brittleness of stainless-steel utilized in a fantastic edged chopping device like a area knife. I personally would like a great carbon metal except I anticipated to be close to salt water.
Nonetheless, ignoring that bias and primarily based on take a look at outcomes, this knife did pretty effectively on the major process, chopping, and completely adequately at every thing else I requested of it.
There was no proof of injury to the sting from the testing. For the reason that blade form is commonplace, you would possibly have the ability to use this for duties requiring the tip, comparable to skinning, though it is perhaps clumsier than you’re used to when utilizing a shorter blade.
It has utility for protection in opposition to animals and at the least some people. All in all, you would possibly have the ability to get by with this as your solely knife, however a bush knife or good pocket knife together with this is able to be far superior.
The sheath is an issue. It’d have the ability to be modified to cut back the rattle and sheath flop, but when I used to be going to rely on this knife for survival, I might see about making a greater sheath or having one made.
Though I do not assume I will make this certainly one of my major survival knives, I do plan to maintain it; it fills a selected area of interest. The sheath suits completely within the “ruler” pocket on the leg of my overalls, so this goes in there once I exit into the alley to take the rubbish out at night time.
We stay on the fringe of city, and there may be important wild and semi-wild life within the space; this protects me having to dig out a belt to be able to have one thing higher than a pocket knife on me.
Comply with us on Fb, Instagram, and Pinterest!
Disclaimer: All content material on this website is for informational functions solely. Please learn our full disclaimer right here.
Editor’s Observe: This submit was initially printed on December 18, 2015, and has been up to date for high quality and relevancy.