Migrants wait for his or her flip to board a Border Patrol van in Eagle Move, Texas. Photograph: Veronica G. CardenasAFP by way of Getty Photos)
The massive image: Lawmakers, navy teams and attorneys are all working collectively to free him from a Texas detention heart, citing his clear report and navy service.
- “It’s truthfully simply shameful that we’ve handled people who helped shield our nation this manner,” Jennifer Cervantes, one among Wasi Safi’s attorneys, instructed AP.
How we obtained right here: Wasi Safi initially fled from Afghanistan to Brazil after the American withdrawal in August 2021. He feared potential acts of revenge from the Taliban, AP stories.
- After making his method from Brazil to the U.S.-Mexico border, Wasi Safi was arrested close to Eagle Move, Texas, and remains to be being held in a detention heart in Eden, Texas, AP stories. He’s hoping for asylum in the USA.
- Throughout his harmful journey to the USA, Wasi Safi reportedly held onto paperwork about his time as a soldier working with the American navy.
- “He tried each method attainable to save lots of these certificates within the hopes that after he … presents his acceptable paperwork on the southern border … he would obtain a heat welcome and his service can be appreciated and acknowledged,” mentioned his brother, Sami-ullah Safi, per AP.
Be good: If he returns to Afghanistan, he is perhaps killed by the Taliban, which has been chargeable for tons of of deaths of Afghan officers and safety power officers, based on a United Nations report.
Zoom out: In December, a coalition of American veteran teams known as on President Biden to intervene in Wasi Safi’s case as he faces potential deportation, CNN stories.
- The teams mentioned in a letter to President Biden that Wasi Safi “served faithfully alongside US Particular Operations Forces” whereas in Afghanistan and “continued to help the Northern resistance towards the Taliban” even after the USA left the nation.
Earlier this month, Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) demanded Wasi Safi’s launch and for the Biden administration to pardon him for any crimes from crossing the border, the Texas Tribune stories.
- “It is a mistake that must be corrected instantly,” she mentioned.
Extra from Axios: