Contemplating a SOG Pressure fastened blade knife?
Wish to know extra about it before you purchase?
Take a look at our evaluate under.
Product Evaluate – SOG Pressure Fastened Blade Knife
A knife is likely one of the extra necessary items of apparatus you may have with you in a survival scenario.
As such, an excellent, survival-appropriate, fixed-blade knife is your best option for inclusion in a survival package or BOB (Bug Out Bag) or equal, and/or to be strapped on when an emergency is probably going.
On this article, we’ll contemplate one other contender for “Greatest Survival Knife”.
As talked about in earlier articles, there are two courses of fastened blade knives that may be acceptable for survival eventualities, the “bush” (medium) knife and the “area” (massive) knife. This knife belongs to the bush class.
Why did I contemplate this knife?
SOG is one in all my favourite knife manufacturers, though to date I’ve been extra considering their combating knives.
They had been began in 1986 by designer Spencer Frazer, with the preliminary objective of reproducing the fight knife carried by the MAC-V (Army Help Command – Viet Nam) SOG groups in the course of the Viet Nam Battle.
SOG was formally “Research and Commentary Group”; typical authorities misdirection. Sounds innocent, proper? Why would they’ve required a particular fight knife?
Allow us to simply say that they had been moderately extra lively than the title implies; extra typically they had been generally known as the “Particular Operations Group”.
In any case, Spenser’s firm succeeded of their preliminary objective, and shortly branched out into a variety of high-tech knives and different helpful gadgets. Though the fight heritage remains to be extremely seen in lots of their fashions, they do provide some fashions which appear to fulfill our survival knife standards.
The primary one I discovered a deal on was the Pressure, their greatest knife which might nonetheless be thought of a bush knife.
It’s marketed as a “Clip Level”, however actually is drop level. I’ve seen some that are partially serrated, however the website doesn’t listing that as a present possibility. It does have a false edge, however it’s so slight that it may be thought of a plus moderately than a minus. It’s hole floor, which might imply improved sharpness, but in addition might result in a bit much less sturdiness.
For a knife with a 6″ blade, 1/4″ thick, that is astonishingly nimble. As with my different SOG knives, it’s effectively put collectively, enticing and good to carry.
The blade coating is clean and slick, so shouldn’t have any affect on slicing, though it isn’t essential for rust safety. That is most likely a results of their navy heritage, intending that no gentle is mirrored from the blade to “provide you with away”.
There may be one quirk that isn’t optimum in my view: the jimping is unusually situated. There’s a slight thumb ramp molded into the grip, with solely slight ribbing for slip resistance.
If you happen to attempt to put your finger a bit additional ahead, the top of the thumb ramp digs into your thumb. You may put your thumb previous the ramp on the jimping, which is definitely fairly helpful for some duties however can’t be thought of both a saber or a Filipino grip, being midway between them.
I would favor both to do with out the thumb ramp and prolong the jimping a half inch rearward or to have rather more traction on the thumb ramp and the jimping to be prolonged ahead an inch.
A part of the explanation this knife is so nimble is the light-weight deal with materials, the marginally narrower blade, and possibly the decreased blade mass as a result of hole grind.
The grip has good checkering on the perimeters, however pretty ineffectual ridges on the highest and backside. The underside of the grip is mildly scalloped with finger notches.
All in all, pretty slip-resistant with the hand dry, moist, or with vegetable oil. The grip is comfy and secures in all normal grips, besides the saber, which is comfy if you happen to preserve your thumb on the thumb ramp, however not as safe as I would love.
- The perimeters of the backbone are pretty sharp; with the graceful coating, it’s hopeful they are going to be helpful.
- The blade coating is aesthetically pleasing and doesn’t mirror gentle.
- The lanyard gap is properly sized, and the sides appear to have solely a really slight rounding, so examine your lanyard for put on occasionally. If it seems to be an issue, the sides are within the grip materials, so might be able to be chamfered a bit extra.
- The tip of the tang is uncovered and pointed, so it ought to serve in non-lethal fight, and act as a glass breaker.
- Stability is true behind the guard, which is perfect for a lot of makes use of, with the possible exception of chopping. In fact, the hole floor blade might also have an effect on its chopping capacity.
- The sheath, just like the knife, seems to be largely superior with a couple of quirks; it needs to be a minimum of ample for many makes use of. Retention appears to be ample.
- Primarily based on historical past, specs, and appearances, I’ve excessive hopes for this knife.
AUS-8 is a generally used mid-range chrome steel that takes an excellent edge and has fairly good corrosion resistance. It’s a Japanese product roughly equal to an American-made 440B. Often, it’s more durable and simpler to sharpen than another chrome steel. Some folks discover it loses its edge shortly; others say it holds an edge in addition to any stainless blade; maybe it relies on the tempering course of. Like most stainless steels, it may be a bit brittle.
The knife takes an honest edge, though not as simply as an excellent carbon metal. A number of strokes of my Smith’s Pocket Pal received it nearly razor sharp (minimize a couple of hairs) and simply sliced paper and a tomato. After fifty slices by means of cardboard, it didn’t endure any vital capacity to slice tomatoes and paper.
To summarize, it seems that the metal has excessive rust resistance, pretty excessive energy, good edge functionality, average ease of sharpening, some resistance to chipping and average or higher edge holding functionality.
- Reducing wire. That is typically essential throughout development of shelter, fishing, stitching and making snares and traps, in addition to different occasions. As probably the most generally out there to survivalists, I attempted fish line and paracord, in addition to 3/8″ Manila and three/4″ Sisal, simply because fish line and paracord would appear to be trivial for any knife value having. Reducing the fish line was no drawback, as was reducing paracord beneath rigidity. Reducing the paracord whereas it was laying on a flat floor was a bit harder than I am used to. The knife additionally had extra hassle than different knives with the Manila. As for Sisal, it did the job with quite a lot of effort; not the worst knife I’ve tried it with, however close to to it.
- Making notches in branches. This could possibly be required for shelter development and making snares or traps, in addition to different occasions. This did moderately effectively at this. It appeared to chop with the grain properly, and though not an excellent chopper, it was capable of make the perpendicular cease minimize adequately.
- Trimming/Sharpening/smoothing branches. This might be for shelter development, in addition to making arrows, spears, stakes, strolling sticks and even bows. The knife did a fairly good job in any respect of those.
- Pounding in stakes. This could possibly be required for making shelters, snares and traps. This knife just isn’t set as much as carry out this perform.
- Use with a magnesium bar or ferrocerium rod is ok utilizing the sting of the backbone; it shaves and sparks effectively, nevertheless it does mark up the blade coating.
- A technique of creating tinder is to make use of the backbone to scrape the liner from bark; this knife has a backbone sharp sufficient to do a good job. As for making a “feather stick”, this does a the perfect job of this of all of the knives I’ve tried thus far.
- Drilling a gap (for a hearth drill) was fairly simple; the tip doesn’t look like at excessive danger of breaking throughout affordable use. Be careful for “unreasonable” use, as stainless is extra brittle than carbon metal.
- Batoning for entry to tinder or making kindling from logs labored fairly effectively. The hole grind made it simpler than typical to begin, and didn’t appear excessively weak. There have been marks within the blade coating after this check, however they might largely be scrubbed off.
- Use as a throwing knife. A phrase to the clever, do not. If you happen to throw your knife, you might not get it again, or it may be broken, significantly whether it is product of chrome steel which is a bit brittle. I didn’t strive throwing this, as the associated fee was too excessive to dare risking chipping or breaking it.
- Use as a spear. Turning your knife right into a spear provides you further attain, however throwing a spear product of a chrome steel knife is extra vulnerable to wreck than is appropriate. In addition to, the grip can’t be eliminated, so this can have to be lashed “to” the shaft, which means it is going to be effectively off heart and never throw effectively anyway.
- This chops veggies fairly effectively and the blade form needs to be fairly good for skinning and butchering, though probably a bit lengthy for final comfort. With the hole floor blade, it needs to be ample for filleting regardless of the blade thickness.
- Digging for grubs and bait. It’s laborious to think about something which might boring or harm a knife faster than digging with it, and stainless is liable to chipping if it hits a rock, so I do not suggest utilizing this knife for digging.
- Sticks or fronds. For shelter and different development, splints and firewood. The hole floor, stainless blade was a sturdiness concern, however chopping didn’t trigger any seen harm.
- It was not an excellent chopper; taking many strokes to get by means of a half inch department. It doesn’t have the burden over the reducing level wanted to cut effectively. Nevertheless, it was passable for a bush knife.
- The blade size is nice however a bit brief to be distinctive at protection, and its nimbleness and cross part is definitely fairly good. Sadly, the built-in half guard offers primarily no safety in your hand out of your opponent, and honest safety out of your hand slipping onto the blade. That is really nearer to a combating knife than many bush knives.
- The kinds which might most profit from this knife can be these using the sideways grip and the reverse grip along with your thumb over the pommel. Types utilizing the hammer or saber grips will likely be much less efficient, because the hand may probably slip onto the blade utilizing these grips when stabbing. The tip of the tang has a “skull-cracker” level which is a plus. Just about the one grip which is able to permit efficient use of this characteristic is the “hammer” grip.
- The sheath model is a fairly good instance of the nylon/polyester kind. Not like many, the nylon is stiffened. The grip strap is closed with Velcro, which is straightforward to make use of, however not probably the most safe. The belt loop is sewn in and could be very stiff, however you have to to string it onto your belt. On the again is a full size Molle connection strap, and there are two eyelets alongside the highest edge for extra lashing prospects. The blade guard seems to be sturdy sufficient and effectively contained. It seems to be not fitted, however does have a little bit of a friction match. This implies there’s little or no rattle, however it’s attainable that some put on to the coating may happen. It does slot in backwards with a bit extra friction, which means a left hand carry is feasible, however most likely not optimum. There’s a small pouch on the entrance, with a flap, however the flap sticks up an inch excessive of the pouch; with its Velcro fastener, it will probably most likely be adjusted to safe most contents. There’s a pair of eyelets on the backside for a size of thong or paracord to tie across the leg if sheath flop is an issue.
It seems no equipment can be found.
Value and Availability
The listing value of the Pressure at this cut-off date is $180.00. You may usually discover it on eBay for $95 and up.
It’s listed as being in inventory on the firm, and there are few folks promoting it on eBay, as Purchase It Now. Alternatively, Amazon has it for an inexpensive value, though tax could also be added.
I like this knife loads, nevertheless it does not likely stand out as distinctive for both of the 2 conditions I am . Though it may serve pretty effectively as one’s solely knife, I see it as a bit gentle obligation to be optimum. And it’s a bit huge to be probably the most helpful second knife in a two knife set.
It’s higher for fight than different bush knives I’ve tried, so a case the place I’d select it might be as a part of a set, the place my area knife was inappropriate for fight and the atmosphere known as for stainless.
A greater guard and/or higher slip resistance on the highest and backside of the grip may enhance it is suitability for fight. I used to be not thrilled with the placement of the jimping, however after utilizing the knife, I discovered the place fairly helpful.
The coating doesn’t serve any actual survival goal besides unobtrusiveness, but appears to be simply marked up. The marks largely wipe off with scrubbing, and any remaining marks should not actually obtrusive.
The hole grind is useful for slicing duties and reduces the “clumsiness” of the thick blade, however restricts the knife’s skills to carry out excessive stress (doubtlessly damaging) duties.
All in all, it’s a helpful instance of a chrome steel knife, however in my view, it doesn’t match or exceed the perfect carbon metal knives I’ve tried up to now. To date, it appears carbon metal is a more sensible choice besides close to salt water.
Keep tuned for future evaluations of chrome steel knives making use of for survival knife positions (and extra carbon metal knives as effectively).
Wish to know extra? Take a look at these associated articles:
INFOGRAPHIC: The Full Information to Knife Blades
Survival Knife Evaluate: Benchmade 140 Nimravus Fastened Blade Knife
Greatest Survival Knives: Ka-Bar BK&T Becker BK-2 (BK-22) “Companion” Fastened Blade Knife
Observe us on Fb, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr!
**Disclaimer: All content material on this website is for informational functions solely. Please learn our full disclaimer right here**
Editor’s Observe: This publish was initially revealed on September 18, 2015, and has been up to date for high quality and relevancy.